viernes, diciembre 29, 2006

(entrevista) Martirio speaks of her love of the jondo art

"Flamenco showed me another way of being"
Juanjo Castillo
Translated by: esflamenco.com

Martirio
Wearing an Empire State peineta, her habitual sunglasses and full of love to the brim Martirio presents her new album "Primavera en Nueva York". Produced by Nat Chediak and Fernando Trueba, Maribel Quiñones's alter ego gives us a collection of 12 heartfelt and sensual boleros. Delicate combinations of jazz and flamenco vibes that bring out this unique artist's most sensitive vein. Martirio has become, on her own merits, an iconic female vocalist in Spain, and is flamenco at heart in love with life, her art and music.

What type of album is "Primavera en Nueva York?"
It's a theatrical, loving suite that expresses through 12 boleros, the different stages of love. I adore love and talking about romance, the ins and outs of emotions has always been the base of my life and my songs.

This album has many styles, there's a jazz vibe, a copla vibe and a flamenco vibe. Flamenco is the base and my favourite thing in the world.

There's a song called "Si te contara", which is just vocals and double bass, it could be a saeta, a soleá or a martinete, it's very paused. It's something that's always in me, independently of the musical circles I'm in.

(leer +) [vía esflamenco]

tags: , , ,

Etiquetas: , , ,